Wednesday, April 4, 2007

back from ArtFest

Woohoo! What a great time. ArtFest was fantastic. As a group, even before we took our first day of classes we were already talking about what we would do when we came back next year. This is a good sign. We had great weather, only got sprinkled on Friday evening. All the other days were lovely.

This is the view we had from the porch of our house. The only other pictures I took were of one of my pieces in progress for future projects and a few pieces from the Saturday Show and Tell. I wish I had gotten a picture of all the art our house produced. Next year!!

My first class, Mixed Media Naturalist, was pretty low key and I was almost disappointed. We used a fair amount of chemicals, at least in my view, and I can't imagine setting that up for myself. The intense ink would be fun to do with some other people on a summer afternoon. I do like the journal cover I started though. I also liked the teacher and would consider taking another one of her classes.

The second class, Diva Fairies, was my favorite. Lots more movement, colors everywhere and a nearly finished Diva Fairy. I have some more details I want to add to her and then she's ready to hang in a window. I'm even thinking about making another one or two. I need to order some of the great liquid watercolor paint we used.

I knew my third class, Watercolor Self Portraits, was going to be a challenge for me skillwise since I have never used watercolors in any formal way. I have a pan set I've played with a little but that was it. My final project turned out ok. The more I look at it, the more I can appreciate it and consider trying again. When I walked away from the class I was trying to figure out how I was going to unload the paints I've already bought. We'll see.

All in all, I am so glad I went. I would be one bumming chick if I'd missed it. It is definitely on my radar as an annual event. In addition to the classes being what they were, I am so grateful to have gone with such a loving group of friends. It was wonderful to spend so much time with each of them. I look forward to the day when this is something that can happen more easily for me on a more regular basis. As fabulous as annual events are, I want more of these experiences with these people on a more frequent basis.

.ttfn.

No comments: