Tuesday, November 6, 2007

amazing cellist

Last night we were privileged to hear an amazing cellist from Israel, Amit Peled, as part of a festival concert at UM. He is the most expressive cellist I have ever seen. Not that I've seen that many, mind you. However, it's not often that symphony music stirs me. And at this performance, I was stirred. I could feel the resonance in my chest.

The piece I liked best was a Jewish prayer that comes early in the celebration of Yom Kippur called Kol Nidrei, Op. 47. The symphony plays the part of the congregation and the lead cello is the cantor. I really enjoyed the interplay of the two.

The second piece Mr. Peled contributed was a Tchaikovsky one with lively variations. It was a lighter piece. It was a demonstration of just how high a cello can go. (Much higher than you might think.)

We left at the intermission because he wasn't going to be playing any further and we were tired. Apparently he is going to be recording a cd with the String Orchestra of the Rockies called "The Jewish Soul". We are both very curious about it and may have to search it out.

(Oh, by the way, this concert was free.)

No comments: