Sunday, July 1, 2007

just read

In preparation for my trip last weekend, Rob and I went and scoured the cheap book racks at Barnes & Noble. Although I knew the trip was going to be quick and jam-packed, I wanted some light reading to fill the gaps and let me unwind as needed. I also had two 2-hour ferry trips I thought I needed to fill with activity and reading is the perfect thing to do on a long ferry ride.

Alas, I ran into friends I hadn't seen in a dozen years so spent most of my time catching up with them. In spite of that, of the three books I bought before leaving, I've already finished two of them.

I think some of you might enjoy them also so decided to share 'em real quick. The lead character in both books grew up in roughly the same time frame as I so I quickly identified with them though their lives were dramatically different than mine.

wish, by Melina Gerosa Bellows is about a girl with a twin brother who is autistic. It tells the story of how she deals with him and his quirky habits and needs. Of course, it also chronicles her teenage years including best friends, boy friends vs boyfriends, going to college and a fledgling career in the world of celebrity magazines. I was particularly touched by her relationship with her brother which is a central theme. This was an easy, fast read.


The second book, I've recently finished is the Myth of You & Me by Leah Stewart. This one felt meatier than wish but I ran through it almost as fast. It's about two best friends, how they broke up and why, and the desires of an old man for them to reunite. There's also a love story thrown in there for good measure. I really enjoyed it and intend to look for Body of a Girl by the same author.


So that's it for now. We're hoping to go for a mountain bike ride today with Tiika. Maybe this time I'll remember the camera so I can post pictures from our favorite weekend riding spot.

We're also looking forward to the broken up week with the holiday in the middle. We don't have any plans since it's only one day and difficult to get away for such a short time but a change in the routine is nice all the same. Anyone else got great plans?

ttfn!

No comments: